Jelly Pizza

There's a story, of course.

Jul 2, 2008

Recipe For A Friend....

Sher, here's a special treat which has just you in mind. In fact, I ate it for for you since you couldn't be here.

I know you have a fondness....er....ah....weakness for meatballs, and you've been needing a little extra iron in your diet -- spinach seems to be a favored ingredient with that qualification.

Let's start with a salad, which is always nice.

[click on all images to enlarge]
A plate comes in handy. Alas, it's empty.

I spy something round. Could it be...?

It's a small plate, so it's not really a giant meatball. This means you can have 3 or 4, if you like.

The base is ground turkey, and has all the routine goodies: diced Vidalia onion, fresh crushed garlic, an egg or two, a splash of cream, some fresh breadcrumbs, fresh chopped oregano from the garden, salt and pepper, scads of coarsely chopped Italian parsley, a heaping spoonful or two of grated Pecorino Romano cheese, and your choice of lots and lots of spinach. I was crunched for time, the store's "fresh" looked anything but, so I used the frozen, chopped leaf spinach, which I then defrosted in the microwave, then squeezed out the liquid. [I suppose you could drink it, or save it for soup.]

You know the rest of this, I'm sure. Brown them in EVOO, remove to plate [not fully cooked yet so resist the temptation to taste. Use the drippings to make the sauce of your dreams, mine has buckets of chopped garlic and mushrooms [optional] lightly sauteed, crushed tomatoes [fresh or canned], salt and pepper, cover and letter simmer for about 1 hour stirring frequently.

Return the meatballs to finish cooking for the last twenty minutes covered at a gently bubbling simmer. Start pasta now, and when you put it in the water, stir in coarsely chopped, fresh basil -- about two handfuls or MORE -- into your sauce to wilt and finish off this simple treasure of tomatoes, garlic and basil. Does it get any better?

More cheese on top when you serve, and now....you get to taste.

Healthy eating, my friend. Feel better sooner than soon.

PS: I miss Upsie and Taboo, don't you?

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 3, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Blogger sher said...

Oh be still my heart! That looks magnificent---you know how I am for meatballs. And I know that those ingredients are perfect for a nice tasty orb. Wish I had one right now! Thank you for thinking of me. The doctor has set my surgery date for my hysterectomy. So, in a few months I'll be back to normal. I'll have eat your meatballs during my recovery! Maybe I'll call them iron balls.

Oh yes, I miss Upsie and Taboo so much. It's hard sometimes, isn't it?

 
At July 3, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Blogger whaleshaman said...

Sher: Maybe I'll call them iron balls.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think I just woke my husband up with my laughing.

What a perfect name for the dish.

BTW, you need to ask your doctor to define "normal." I mean, why start now? Heh.

 
At July 4, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Blogger sher said...

Oh--I loved looking at the pictures of our friends. It made me feel very emotional seeing the pictures of Taboo and Upsie--and Sushi!

It's still hard to accept that they are gone. Hugs!

 
At July 13, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Blogger catsynth said...

This looks yummy, and quite comforting, too. I'll have to try it. I have only had one night home to cook in the last two weeks! And today I'm off having cheap BBQ as part my show - but I suppose things could be worse ;)

Still remember Upsie and Taboo, too. It's hard to lose friends...

The Google "word verification" thing below includes NIKO, I wonder if that's a sign.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home