Jelly Pizza

There's a story, of course.

Nov 30, 2006

Get Tagged...

[click on images to enlarge]




Welcome to Sher's cookbook tag party.

I had fun photographing the favored few I have pared down to and included my 40-year collection of precious-to-me recipes [the red folder, which resides permanently in a hurricane evacuation box].

Several I have hung on to for the pictures alone, so inspirational when it comes to pretty presentations [Sher, you shine in that!] and ideas for when the well runs dry.

Lo & behold, I discovered the original Jelly Pizza recipe, typed out, with a scribbled note in pencil for a pretty decent cream cheese, pound cake recipe [do they still make Presto cake flour?].

Last but not least, for those of you unfamiliar with my Friday cat blogs, I have an old kitty, Taboo, who has a favorite nesting "cave" in a closet. I was thinking that this week I should at least try, for a change, to photograph her when she's up and about, wandering the house looking for her human family, plaintively crying, "is anybody home?"

So it is a little personal spoof on myself to display my books in her cave, peeking out much like she does. No kitties were harmed to take the cookbook photos, though she did get a little frustrated when she couldn't go to bed on time. She's there now, racked out until her next meal.

Here's a list of my cookbooks:

The Dinner Party Cook Book [for the pictures!], edited by Hilaire Walden
Not Afraid of Flavor, Recipes from Magnolia Grill, by Ben & Karen Barker
Salad, by Amy Nathan
The Martha Stewart Cookbook
Williams-Sonoma Vegetarian [a Goat Cheese & Leek Tart to die for!]
Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts [was there ever a prettier display of fruit in pastry?]
Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by Child, Bertholle & Beck [sigh, soupe à l'oignon, gilding the lily with both wine AND Cognac]
The Food of Greece, by Vilma Liacouris Chantiles
The Complete Book of Home Baking, by Ann Seranne [published in 1950, surely impossible to replace, it too should be stored in the hurricane box]. I've had a paperback version since the early 70s. I used it tonight to make the sweet potato biscuits. In fact, I use it all the time like you would a dictionary or Google even -- as a valuable tool to look everything up.

Thanks, Sher. That was a great idea you had, though I'm sorry to have to confess there's nary a Mexican recipe in my whole collection -- not an intended cultural slight, just lack of exposure.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home